"Your greatest contribution to the Kingdom of God may not be something you do, but someone you raise." ~Andy Stanley

June 10, 2007

Praising Him!

When Joy was 2 weeks old, a little red dot appeared on her forehead.

We thought it was from a bonk on the head by a little truck and an older brother. Then the red dot expanded. Then we thought it was a birthmark. It eventually became enlarged and grew to the size of a ping pong ball. It turned out to be a hemangioma. (which I still don't know how to spell) It grew as her body grew.


By the time we made it through all the processes of finding out what it was, what to do about it and arranging for surgery, she was 4 months old and it was weighing down on her left eye. God was so gracious to us, because the best pediatric plastic surgeon in the country had an office 15 min. from our house! I used to leave his office so humbled and grateful. The deformities of the other children really put this experience in perspective and I would be about in tears and ready for a good cry whenever we left the office.

That was 10 years ago.

Two weeks ago, a little red dot appeared on her forehead.

It is on top of her scar.
I just keep looking at it. Suddenly, other people are noticing her scar as if for the first time. All sorts of people from the mail carrier to friends who have known her for a couple of years are asking her about it.

I wonder if the hormonal changes going on in her preteen body have triggered the hemangioma to come back. Ten years ago, we were told that there was a 30% chance of it returning.
On Wednesday, I called her doctor, hoping that he hadn't retired. Back then, he was in his 70's.
I recognized the voice of the same spit fiery, brash receptionist and cringed. (she was something else!)

We have an appointment for July 11th.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our family has been praying about this for 3 days now and I wanted to ask you, my blog friends, to join us in praying too. Things have been so busy with company that I haven't had a chance to write a post about this or call and tell our family members and ask their prayers.

We've been asking God to curse this hemangioma and disconnect it from her growth hormones and make it die and disappear in Jesus' name.

Doubt has been in the back of my mind because I remember the prayers we prayed years ago. It was a painful but precious road that we had to walk back then. It was precious because of all the things He taught us through it. One of the smaller but still painful aspects of the process, was when this doctor told us that if we had only come to see him when it was a dot, he would have "zapped it with a laser for free and cured her." That hurt because if we'd have known, we sure would have. This week I've wanted to quote him on that and see if he really would 'zap this dot with a laser for FREE'. Somehow, I doubt it! : )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday, (Saturday) I noticed that the dot looked different but was still there.

After church today, Joy looked into our living room mirror and said "It's gone! My Sunday school class prayed!" I looked at her scar very closely and the red dot IS GONE! Completely gone! Oh, what a relief. Thank you, thank you, Lord!!!

~Becky

2 comments:

mamabeck said...

Praise God!!!!

:D
beck

Robin Green said...

I'm sure you guys were so concerned. I'm so glad the redness is gone. Thank you so much for your prayers. Our team came in 17th in the nation. There were 75 teams there. I will update later on my blog. I'm going to try to wade through everyone's posts today, take my kids to camp tomorrow, and then I will have 3 days to get all caught up!!!