"Your greatest contribution to the Kingdom of God may not be something you do, but someone you raise." ~Andy Stanley

March 21, 2007

Wednesdays in the Word

One, of too many (unfortunately) Wednesday nights after church, I was pretty whiny. There were 40 little boys in our class that night and only one other adult and I was exhausted and blah blah blah....
Well, what my hubby said next stopped my whining.
It was something to the effect of "Our kids will grow up knowing that we are serious about serving in the local church."
I sure hadn't thought of it that way. I'm sure there are probably things we say and don't do, but this is one we say and do. Of course, we've seen it WAY overdone, where serving is more important THAN family and we don't agree with that either. But, we don't just "sit, soak and sour." (that's what our pastor says folks do when they don't get busy in some area of ministry and serve) He suggests that people who are new to the church should wait about 6 months and then 'get out of the purple padded chair' and find an area to serve in a make relationships with people.

Not long after this, these verses from Psalms were apart of my quiet time and seemed to apply to serving in the local church or at least that's the way I applied them. And it helped my whiny attitude even more!

"For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere."

"I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness."

"Those who are planted in the house of the Lord shall flourish in the courts of our God. They shall still bear fruit in old age. They shall be fresh and flourishing."

"Blessed are those who dwell in Your house. They will still be praising You."

I read these to the kids as a part of a devotional and asked "what ways would you llike to serve in the church when you grow up?" (I know they can serve now, too and we look for those ways also)
I loved their responses. My hubby thought I should write them down. Here they are:

"I want to work in the media and sound department."

"I want to serve in the youth ministry." (a guy after his daddy's heart)

"I want to be a Ranger Commander someday."

"I want to get my license and drive the bus." (it picks up neighborhood kids whose parents don't come to church but want to send their kids, and that my friends, is a challenging ministry. I was proud of that 'olive plant.') "I also want to help serve in the parking lot." (that is a self less job! Helping over 500 cars get in and out of the parking lot for two services, without traffic jams --whoo hoo! I feel for those who do this especially in the summer FL heat)

I was so blessed! Especially, when they said they were all going to grow up, live near by and keep going to this church. (that's not a gift that I gave my parents so, I don't expect it, but what fun it would be if that's how God worked it out that way!) I would love that! Think I can hold them to it? : )

~Becky
Who is going to claim that she'll be "fresh and flourishing" after being in the "courts of our God" with 40 little boys tonight. ; )

No comments: