"Your greatest contribution to the Kingdom of God may not be something you do, but someone you raise." ~Andy Stanley

February 10, 2007

A wink and smile and pile of books

Don't you just love, love, love when God does just the littlest things that show you:

~He knows about what you care about
~He's intimately involved in your life
~He's guiding and directing your footsteps

It's so fun when something happens that reminds me of those things. It's just like getting a wink and a smile from an earthly dad, over something the two of you understand but few others know about.

My "wink and a smile" today was really insignificant in the big scope of things but it was just one of those things that gave me that feeling of being loved by my Abba (daddy).

I kept feeling like I should make a library trip. (maybe that was just a homeschooling syndrome or something!) ; ) But, I don't normally go on Saturdays and it's not a place I normally take visiting relatives! I went and dear, sweet Anita came along with me and I showed her the cute homes in the historic district along the way.

As we walked into the library they announced:
"Folks, our book sale has now ended. All books in that room are now FREE. (I love that word) Help yourself to as many as you'd like."
(Pinch me! I'm dreaming!)
It took great self control to act nonchalant about this! And I might not have pulled it off, if I'd have come alone! ha ha

Now, the catch was that you had to be quicker at your choosing than the library staff was at picking them up and boxing them. (thankfully, they weren't packing at tremendous speeds or anything!) So, here's what I came home with:

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers
Sir Walter Scott by Rob Roy
She who Laughs Lasts! Laugh-out-loud Stories From Today's Best Known Women of Faith
Exploring Spanish: Activity Book
Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis
The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis
one Hardy boys book and two Nancy Drew books
two historical fiction books for girls
Life Training: Devotions for Parents and Teens by Joe White (Focus on the Family)
It's Perfectly True by Hans Christian Andersen
And because I love old books, one about Christmas with Norman Rockwell illustrations

~I stopped there because I didn't want to look like an obnoxious book hog in front of my new mother in law and that's about all I could carry. : )

No, they weren't books I needed, but it sure seemed like another one of the million ways that my daddy in Heaven was reminding me how loved I am.

~Becky

No comments: