"Your greatest contribution to the Kingdom of God may not be something you do, but someone you raise." ~Andy Stanley

May 29, 2007

Wednesdays in the Word

I recently met a woman with two weeks to live!
She pulled up next to me in a parking lot and wanted directions. And then she kept talking. She told me about an artery that burst and showed me the hole in her neck.
I couldn't help noticing her car! It was bright yellow with green flames all over it and it had a fin on the back. You expected to see a young man driving it and not a 60 year old woman. She said it was a birthday present that she gave herself.
I was thinking that this was some kind of major divine appointment and I needed to share the Lord with her but I was greatly relieved to find out that she knew the Lord and goes to a good church that we know of. I told Bonnie that I'd be praying for her and I have been.
But now I wish that I would have prayed with her on the spot for healing and an extension to her life. We should have prayed and believed God for a miracle right there blocking traffic in the Wal*Mart parking lot next to that wild looking car.... Because desperate faith gets results!
I love the account in Luke 8 of the woman with the issue of blood who was desperate. She had a desperate faith and it got results! I love that Jesus stopped everything to find out what happened. He wanted to know all about why power went out of Him. As a kid, I pictured Him being grumpy when He asked "Who touched me?"
Now, I think He must have been THRILLED! Thrilled that somebody in that crowd had the faith to extract power from Him! That faith gave this woman the healing she was desperate for. I can just picture Him smiling and telling her to "Be of good cheer! Your faith has healed you. Go in peace." What a great example she is for us today.
If you see a wild looking car as you go about your day, maybe you'll say a prayer for Bonnie?
~Becky

2 comments:

Robin Green said...

It's also strange that she would be driving around with just two weeks to live. I will say a prayer for her. I can't imagine knowing that I only have two weeks to live--I'm not sure I would handle that well at all.

Anonymous said...

What a thought provoking post, Becky. Yes, you are so right. We tend to miss the opportunity to pray on the spot. I know I needed this reminder.
Blessings,
~toni~