"Your greatest contribution to the Kingdom of God may not be something you do, but someone you raise." ~Andy Stanley

May 15, 2007

A little more p.e. is happening around here now

I pretty much gave up p.e. for the cold months of winter. I know you may not think FL gets cold but it does -or at least it gets what I think is cold.
The first time we exercised in the cold, my kiddos caught colds, so it seemed to defeat the whole healthy purpose.
I'm not sure what my excuse is for the beautiful months of spring that have slipped by.....
But, we're back at it now.

After devotional we either jog one mile or we ride bikes 2 miles. And we try to go 2 or 3 times a week. The kids prefer biking and I prefer jogging because I can bring Honey. (although she is really slow but I may be when I'm 49 too! I take that back, I'm slow at 37!) The kids are rather sick of jogging. But, last year they were all able to jog a mile without stopping and for which they were rewarded. I however, never was able to pull that off and reward myself. ; )

The new thing I've started doing, is going out after dinner for a little more exercise. Because I'm not in a big hurry (like I am in the morning- to get school started) I ride to the 'pond' which is really a lake but since we are having a drought, it doesn't even have a foot of water in it. It's fun to ride over there because you go through the historic district and can enjoy all the cute remodeled bungalows that were built in the 20's and 30's. One of my kiddos came last night and got pretty absorbed in the quaint atmosphere.... They were riding right in the middle of the road toward and oncoming car, so I yelled and they got back to the side of the street. This cute person said "Mom, I was looking at the houses and planning what mine is going to look like someday." : )

Here's a nice quote from our President:

"People ought to exercise everyday....
yet, more than a third of our children
don't get an hour's worth of exercise in
a week. How about parents playing a game
with their children in the backyard for 30
minutes or an hour? It would be good for
the child, it would be good for the parent,
and it would be good for the family."
~President George W. Bush

~Becky

2 comments:

Robin Green said...

That is great--we are so blessed with a wonderful pe program here at the Y. My kids have so loved their time there. Now that it is over for the summer, we are having to make ourselves be active. We have a wise president--great quote.
We have decided to wait and go as a family to G'burg. I am taking the kids on a short trip to Memphis instead--it's much closer.
Have a great week.

Anonymous said...

The historic district sounds wonderful. And kudos to you for participating in your phys ed. Because honestly? I farm mine out. Soccer. Swim lessons. And just how does that get my own behind off the couch? I haven't been able to make that happen, lol.
Blessings,
~Toni~