"Your greatest contribution to the Kingdom of God may not be something you do, but someone you raise." ~Andy Stanley

June 6, 2012

Wednesdays in the Word

When my sweet kids want to bless me, they buy me Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, which I love and don't buy for myself. It is the sweet thought behind it and the fact that they spend their own money, that makes them a sweeter gift than they already are! Well, in this story, David wants to give God a gift and it must have seemed a lot like buying a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup for someone who owns the whole candy store. "He himself existed before anything else did and he holds all things together." Col.1:17 

You see, in 2 Samuel 7, King David realizes something and says, "I dwell in a house of cedar, but the ark of God dwells inside tent curtains!(emphasis mine) To him that was just plain wrong and he wanted to do something about it! 
Don't you just love David's heart? He can't stand the thought that his house is better than God's house. I love the sweetness of God! God is so blessed by David's heart that He spoke to Nathan the prophet that very night and told him to tell David "the Lord tells you that He will make you a house." (verse 11) Wow! How cool is that?! You certainly can't out-give God! The Supreme Being of the Universe (as Abraham Lincoln referred to Him) has quite the resources and they extend throughout thousands and thousands of years and on into eternity. 'House' also means 'family and clan' and not just 'dwelling' and God was talking about David's seed. God's gift is a promise that David's seed will be enthroned as King forever. JESUS. The Messiah!
We know that David's son Solomon build God a house, as in the temple, and in this verse God promises a sweet relationship with him. "I will be his Father and he shall be My son. If he commits iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men and with the blows of the sons of men. But my mercy shall not depart from him as I took it from Saul..." 
Solomon ended up marrying all those foreign wives and they turned his heart from God. He committed idolatry against God and God said "I will surely tear the kingdom away from you and give it to your servant." That should have been the end of David's 'house'... BUT, it wasn't!!! 
1 Kings 11:13 says "However, I will not tear away the whole kingdom, I will give one tribe to your son for the sake of My servant David." God always keeps His promises!
And Matthew 1:1 says: "The book of genealogy of Jesus Christ, the son of David..." Hallelujah!!! 

What injustice do see in the world today? What gift can we give to God that will bless His heart? What can we do that will get His attention and bless His name? You can bet that He won't be out-given. 
~Becky

No comments: