"Your greatest contribution to the Kingdom of God may not be something you do, but someone you raise." ~Andy Stanley

December 9, 2015

Wednesdays in the Word

It feels like the scriptures on healing have been my constant companions for several months now and the other day I realized that I needed to make myself more familiar with the scriptures on widows.
 ~I'm not a big fan of the 'w' word at the moment, and the first time someone called me one, I cried. (not that it takes much to make me cry right now)   ; )

But, God is a big fan of widows!

Here are just a few verses out of many:

"A father to the fatherless and a judge for the widows,
is God in His holy habitation."  Ps. 68:5

"The Lord protects the strangers,
He supports the fatherless and the widow,
but He thwarts the way of the wicked."  Ps. 146:9

"Let your widows trust in Me."  Jer. 49:11

And here is a scorcher of a verse:
"You shall not afflict any widow or orphan. If you afflict him at all, and if he does cry out to Me,
I will surely hear his cry and My anger will be kindled, and I will kill you with the sword and your wives shall become widows and your children, fatherless."  Ex. 22:22-24

The New Testament has very specific instructions for who should care for widows, depending upon their age and if they ever had children.

And we all know that Jesus made it a priority, while He was dying on the cross, to give the care of his widowed mother into John's hands. So sweet!


~Becky

No comments: