"Your greatest contribution to the Kingdom of God may not be something you do, but someone you raise." ~Andy Stanley

October 13, 2015

As the fight continues

On Friday, the oncologist said that chemo would always be a part of my hubby's life. That was painful to hear. I can't even fathom that right now, especially since this last treatment was so hard on him. We are believing God that that is just not the case!

My new favorite verse that I am praying for him is:
"'For I will restore health to you and heal you of your wounds,' says the Lord." Jer. 30:17 Amen!

He has a CAT scan on the 27th and we will find out the results on the 30th. We are believing for a good report! Prayers appreciated! : )

In the meantime, we have decided to do more to fight the cancer through natural means like we were at the beginning of this journey. (last year)

A friend is coming over to teach me how to grow and juice wheatgrass today.
 I've literally dusted off the juicer and we are back to doing that. I've been making protein smoothies for him with coconut oil, flax seed, fruit and kale for awhile now.
He has been slowly becoming a vegan. (that word still freaks me out, maybe because I love cheese so much!)
His first real 'vegan day' was yesterday.
Mine wasn't. -Because someone has to finish off all the homemade cranberry, pecan chicken salad I made the other day. And I volunteered! ; )
But I plan to join him on this journey. Despite my love of cheese!

 I'm still researching how to give him enough protein by eating this way! He has to eat something every 90 minutes which keeps me on my toes. Only having half of a stomach now and being nauseous because of chemo makes it all quite the challenge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you are new here, here is a quick version of Hubby's situation:  Last July, he was diagnosed with esophageal cancer. He had a cancerous tumor at the juncture where the stomach and the esophagus meet. Apparently, only people who smoke and drink and are over 60 seem to get this... So it seemed very 'unfair' for a guy in his 40's who hasn't smoked since junior high and doesn't drink, to get this. His was caused by an acid reflux issue that could have been treated. But he didn't have any symptoms because the acid reflux issue was 'latent.' Another thing that seemed 'unfair' if I'm being whiny.
He did chemo and radiation for 6 weeks to shrink the tumor and then it was removed on January 5th of this year. He had some complications but was cancer-free (yay!) until August. The esophageal cancer was found in fluid in his left lung somehow, but thankfully, nowhere else in his body! PTL! He has had three rounds of chemo at this point and that brings us up to date.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Despite how painful it is to watch him go through all this suffering, we are surrounded by God's peace. -And blessed by the most wonderful bunch of praying friends that anyone could ask for.

~Becky

No comments: