"Your greatest contribution to the Kingdom of God may not be something you do, but someone you raise." ~Andy Stanley

September 4, 2013

Wednesdays in the Word

Here was the state of God's people:
"For My people have committed two evils, they have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters, and hewn themselves cisterns-broken canisters that can hold no water." Jer. 2:13
Then Jesus came and said:
"If anyone thirst, let him come to Me and drink." John 7:37
Actually, He didn't just say it, it says that during the "great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out" which struck me as possibly a party killer ; )
but then I read up on the feast, which was the Feast of Tabernacles, and learned about the 'water libation' ceremony and decided it was the most beautiful thing He could do!

You see, each day during the Feast of Tabernacles or Sukkot, there was a joyous procession and it was in remembrance of the time that God brought water from the rock for His people in the desert.It was a time of great rejoicing with the Levites playing instruments and members of the Sanhedrin dancing. (I have a hard time picturing the Sanhedrin dancing but maybe that's just me) : )
In the ceremony, the priests would bring water from the Pool of Siloam in a golden pitcher while everyone in the procession was probably remembering this:
"..I give waters in the wilderness and rivers in the desert ,to give drink to My people, My chosen." Is.43:20

And while they were all reciting this:

"Therefore with joy you will draw water from the well of salvation," (Is. 12:3) and looking forward to the Messiah's coming and the blessings He would bring.

Then the water would be poured out on the altar as an offering to God while people shouted and sang!

So, picture it again.
Picture the people reciting the verse about 'well of salvation' and they watch the priest pour out water on the altar and then they start shouting and singing, 
and THEN Jesus stands
 and He cries out 
"If anyone thirst, let him come to me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water." John 7:37 
Beautiful, isn't it?
His loved compelled him to make the good news known! He let them know that He was the reality of the symbolism of the water ceremony! They knew what He was saying and maybe they thought of these verses "I will sprinkle clean water on you and you shall be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you." Ezekiel 36:25-26

And this reminds us of  "...and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ." 1 Cor. 10:4

And aren't we thankful for this:
"It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts." Rev. 21:6 Amen!

and this (which I pray for my kids all the time) "For I will pour water on him who is thirsty, and floods on the dry ground; I will pour My Spirit on your descendants and My blessing on your offspring;" Is.44:3 Hallelujah!

Let's never stop thirsting,
~Becky

No comments: