"Your greatest contribution to the Kingdom of God may not be something you do, but someone you raise." ~Andy Stanley

January 27, 2016

Wednesdays in the Word

There are two accounts in Genesis that I found interesting this week because they show the different ways that God intervened with people in relation to their places of employment,
so to speak. : )

In Genesis 31 we see that Jacob had a rough go of things working for his father-in-law, Laban.
 In previous studies I've mentioned how much I adore "But God" moments and this chapter has one!
"Your father has deceived me and changed my wages ten times but God did not allow him to hurt me." Amen!

Jacob was an excellent 'employee.'
"I have not eaten the rams of your flock. That which was torn by beasts, I did not bring to you. I bore the loss of it. You required it of my hand whether stolen by day or by night.
 -There I was! In the day the drought consumed me and the frost by night and my sleep departed from my eyes." 
(Finish school Kids, so that you don't have to become a shepherd) ; )

God spoke to Jacob and said "I have seen all that Laban is doing to you." (verse 12)
Isn't that the best? Knowing that God sees and knows, is sometimes all you need!

But, in this situation He intervened!
If Laban declared that all the spotted flocks would be Jacob's, then God made all those animals that gave birth be spotted! When Laban switched to the streaked flocks being Jacob's, all of the sudden they were all having streaked babies.
How agriculturally awesome is that?!
Jacob summed up the situation by saying "So God has taken away the livestock of your father and given them to me." 
He said "God has seen my affliction and the labor of my hands..." 

Now lets see how God deals with Hagar in her place of employment. : )
In Genesis 16, Hagar is a maid to Sarah. She becomes more than a maid when Sarah realizes that she can't have children, she decides to help God fulfill His promise to make she and Abraham parents. She gave Hagar to Abraham to "obtain a child by her." (not a good idea!)
Hagar didn't seem to mind that plan until she actually got pregnant. -Maybe she thought the problem had been with Abraham. LOL
Anyway, she went from being a sweet maid to becoming someone who "despised Sarah!"
I think it is funny that when Sarah talks to Abraham about her situation with Hagar, he says "do to her as you please." Otherwise known as "leave me out of it." Because that's a whole lot of female drama! Sarah's solution was to"deal harshly with her," and so Hagar ran away.

God sent an angel, who found Hagar by a spring of water in the wilderness and He told her to
"Return to your master and submit yourself under her hand."
 -Ouch! I'm sure that wasn't what she wanted to hear. I've always thought Sarah was entirely to blame, but apparently Hagar was in need of an attitude adjustment.
He directed her into a path of humility that surely touched Sarah's heart and improved the situation.
Hagar then calls God by a name that up to that point, He had not yet been known by.
 She said "You-Are-the-God-Who-Sees" or Yahweh Roi.
I love that name of God! It means a lot to me.
Because sometimes, even if your circumstances stay the same, just knowing that He is the God Who Sees, is enough. It was enough for Hagar, because she returned and humbled herself.

Take heart, God sees you in the work place!
If we are being wronged, He can change everything. And if we are in the wrong, He can change us!

~Becky

No comments: