"Your greatest contribution to the Kingdom of God may not be something you do, but someone you raise." ~Andy Stanley

June 26, 2013

Wednesdays in the Word

Gardenias and Purity

Some of my favorite weeks every year are the ones in which our huge gardenia bush blooms! 
I'm a firm believer that the blooms don't belong outside 
so I pick every.single.one. 



And I put them in vases all over our house. 
What smells better than gardenias? 
Pretty much, nothing. ; )

 In the process of picking so many gardenias, I've learned something! If you touch the petals, they will turn brown by morning.
 (maybe everyone knows that but I just figured it out a couple of years ago)

Recently, I've been reading A Man Called Peter, which is about the life and sermons of Peter Marshall. (written by his wife, Catherine Marshall, who also authored Christy, among other titles)
 I was soooo excited to read that he used this fact in a sermon illustration:

"You know how a gardenia's petals reveal any telltale fingermarks by turning brown. . .Your lives are like that. Purity is like that. . . Young people, don't give anything to the world to destroy..."  ~Peter Marshall

Amen!
This illustration reminds me of the book of James which talks about "pure and undefiled religion" and says we are to "keep oneself unspotted from the world." 

I'm crazy about gardenias! They will forever remind me of my grandmother who wore gardenia perfume and is holding one in this picture AND of PURITY.

~Becky

 (sorry this scanned picture throws everything off, but I think it is worth it) : )

No comments: