"Your greatest contribution to the Kingdom of God may not be something you do, but someone you raise." ~Andy Stanley

January 31, 2018

Wednesdays in the Word


Our church just finished a 21 day time of prayer and fasting and it has been such a blessing to hear about the amazing things God has done in people's lives during this time.

Besides food, I also fasted social media and it was amazing to realize how much 'noise' was absent from my head! LOL Who knew?! I might just have to continue staying off Face book!

The fast convicted me that I need to make more time in my life for the Word of God. More than just quick tidbits of it each morning. But to really give it the amount of time that a PRIORITY deserves.

At the beginning of the fast, I felt led to read Mt.4:7
"And some seed fell among thorns and the thorns grew and choked it, and it yielded no crop."

So, I prayed to be shown what thorns have grown up in my life and what I let choke out the Word of God.

In the week to follow I read more about the Parable of the Sower. In Luke 8 we find out what the 'thorns' are.
"And some (seed) fell among thorns, and the thorns sprang up with it and choked it." (verse 7)
In verse 14, Jesus explains that the "the ones that fell among the thorns are those who, when they have heard, go out and are choked with
CARES,
RICHES
and PLEASURES OF LIFE
and bring no fruit to maturity."

Now at the end of the fast, I feel like I know what the names of those "cares, riches and pleasures of life" are in my life and how to CHOKE THOSE instead of letting those choke out what He wants to grow in me.
It is going to take some self discipline to keep the 'thorns' out. But that the beauty of fasting. It gives you lots of practice saying 'no' to the things you like.

May we all let the Word of God flourish in our lives this year!
~Becky


No comments: