"Your greatest contribution to the Kingdom of God may not be something you do, but someone you raise." ~Andy Stanley

January 29, 2013

Comfort food in the extreme

I've never been a fan of baked macaroni and cheese. I've never found a recipe I liked. I HAVE always been a fan of Kraft's though. LOL -I'm pretty sure that I ate it everyday of my high school career. (lets hope yellow #4 doesn't cause cancer for my sake) ; )
But I have daughter who LOVES baked mac and cheese! When our elderly neighbor makes it she always sends some over for her. Guess what? Tonight I made some and she declared it better than the Cracker Barrel's. That's high praise indeed!
I followed a recipe I saw online and then I added some more things to it, like BACON (because everything is better with bacon) and Panko bread crumbs (because they are the best!). I also had to take it out of the crock pot and put it in a 13 x 9 pan before serving to give it the illusion of being baked. -My boys are suspicious of things that come from my crock pot. They groan and tease me when I use it, which is OFTEN! Amen! Love my crock pot!

You probably already have a fabulous baked mac and cheese recipe, but since I don't, I'm going to post it here, lest I forget.

I think I'll call it:

 Almost Baked Macaroni:

Boil one box of elbow for 6 minutes. In a medium saucepan, heat 6 T. of butter and 2 cups of cheddar cheese and 1 cup of Monterrey Jack until melted. Grease crock pot and pour in noodles, and cheese mixture. Add 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. of pepper, and 3/4 cup of sour cream and 1 can of cream of cheddar soup. Cook on low for 2 1/2 hrs. Bake some bacon on 400 for 20 minutes. (I have decided that I will never fry bacon again in my life if at all possible) Cool and crumble on top of mac and cheese and sprinkle 1/2 of Japanese bread crumbs on top.
 Enjoy! My family sure did!

~Becky

No comments: