"Your greatest contribution to the Kingdom of God may not be something you do, but someone you raise." ~Andy Stanley

August 5, 2018

The terrible, horrible, very bad day or almost

On Thursday we got six inches of rain and the parking lot at work became a small river. I was parked right behind this new river and when I got off work, I was fully prepared to roll up my pant legs and run to my car and pull out, when I was informed that if I did, the water would go inside the tailpipe of my Prius and totally ruin my engine.
WHO KNEW?!
I had no idea I came so close to ruining my car!

Then one of my kiddos, who was house sitting near by,  picked me up and we watched Shark Week while waiting for the water to recede. We made dinner and I found out that the owners of the house store their frying pan in the oven! Isn't that odd? With a RUBBER spatula in it.  How weird is that? We took them out to use the oven, and then when we were cleaning up, I put them back in.
I THOUGHT we had shut off the oven by that time but I was sorely mistaken!
So, it wasn't long before we smelled something like....melting rubber!
Then I tried to scrape the rubber out before it cooled and a plastic bag on the counter stuck to the hot pan and hardened and then I burned my hand!
It was craziness.

And then I WHINED! Which I'm happy to say, really surprised my kid because I don't usually.
But by this time, I was just done. LOL
The good news is that by that time, the water had gone down and I could drive home!

Over the weekend, I heated that pan back up at my house and scrapped and scrubbed it and ended up damaging the finish in the process. So, then it was off to the store to buy a new one. UGH!
I was totally bemoaning this fact to myself when I found the pan and saw the price and that is when I felt like the Lord reminded me that I spent a lot of years teaching my kids about restitution and that this is just another opportunity to model how important it is even if they are grown now.

So, when this couple gets back from their cruise, they will have a shiny new red copper pan and rubber spatula waiting for them and maybe they will think twice about storing them in the oven? We can only hope. I've surely thought twice about where I park my car now!

~Becky

No comments: