"Your greatest contribution to the Kingdom of God may not be something you do, but someone you raise." ~Andy Stanley

April 14, 2018

Facing our fears

My family has recently had to walk down a road very similar to the one that changed our lives in 2014. Back then my late hubby was diagnosed with esophageal cancer and for the last several months, one of my kids has had some of the very same symptoms he had. Talk about scary!

This has led to lots of doctor's appointments and the need to tell their dad's story.
The painful part of that journey for us back then and now, is hearing doctors (again) say that my husband was too young for esophageal cancer. (we know!)
And their next questions were always to ask him if he drank or smoked, which would have explained everything -except that he didn't.
(ouch, that always made it feel like we got dealt a really crummy fluke)

During this time  I kept thinking 'Am I really reliving my worst nightmare?!'
Having been here before, I thought I was giving all of this to the Lord, and then I found out I wasn't. The stress caused a muscle spasm near the wall of my chest that pinched a nerve, and oh my stars, that is the closest I ever want to come to finding out what a heart attack might feel like! I had to have an EKG done just to confirm that it was only a pesky pinched nerve and the doctor came back and told me that I have "a beautiful heart." LOL ❤ Yay!

A few days later, a fellow mom and friend prayed for me to surrender my son to God the way that Abraham did with Isaac. Having been a mom now for the last 25 years, this was one of many Mt. Moriah prayer times, so to speak. It is always sobering to remember that our kids belong to the One who loves them so much more than even we do.

A biopsy this week confirmed that this dear one doesn't have cancer, Praise God, and that what they do have is something that isn't life threatening.  Monday they had a procedure done which fixed the immediate problem.
For whatever reason, our family had to look some really ugly fears from the past, full in the face and throw ourselves once again on the One whose been faithful to us in life... and in death.


~Becky

No comments: