"Your greatest contribution to the Kingdom of God may not be something you do, but someone you raise." ~Andy Stanley

June 15, 2012

The dare to be thankful

I just started reading One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp.
Wow, wow and wow! It is a must read!
I highly recommend taking the dare and letting thanksgiving change your life.

The love dare: "Could I write a list of a thousand things I love? To name one thousand blessings?"
"This writing it down -it is sort of like...unwrapping love."
"It really is a dare to name all the ways that God loves  me. " ~Ann Voskamp

Ann is so poetic and her descriptions are so beautiful! What a gift for writing she has!
Sometimes I have to read a sentence twice just to get it
and at other times, the homeschooling mom in me, is like 'was that sentence even grammatically correct?' : ) Her writing is poetic and beautiful.

Her list sounds like this:

16. Leafy life scent of the florist shop
18. Wind flying cold wild in hair

Mine sounds more like this:

7. Stacks of clean laundry 
37. A safer street, a drug dealer behind bars (PTL)

But I work at it and then mine start to sound a little more poetic:

33. Lives shared and intertwined by friendship  : )

And here is one of my favorites:

65. Hot air balloons at sunrise!
-To which the kids said "Mom, you are thanking the Lord for hot air balloons?!" "Yes!!! They are beautiful!"


-That's our smudgy car window and not a smudgy sky. ; )
Ann says, "At first, it's the dare that keeps me going. That and how happy it makes me-giddy- this list writing of all that is good and pure and lovely and beautiful." 

And I think of how Paul said we are to think on:



It is no wonder that this counting of blessings is so fun! We are suppose to do it.
 More of my favorite quotes from her tomorrow! 
You can find Ann's blog here and be blessed. : )

~Becky

No comments: