"Your greatest contribution to the Kingdom of God may not be something you do, but someone you raise." ~Andy Stanley

April 17, 2011

Week One of the new adventure

So, this has been Week One of caring for a stroke patient and I've learned a few things, like:

1. That I have the most wonderful kids ever. (actually I already knew this before this week. LOL)
They are devoting tons time to doing physical therapy with their uncle with the sweetest of attitudes and cheering on his improvements.

2. Stroke patients have sweet tooth's (or at least ours does) and actually, talking about donuts, seems to appease him as much as actually eating them. So, we talk instead... LOL

3. Sometimes you just have to laugh.

4. When you tell someone that God can make all things work together for good and then He does, it is awesome!

5. Always check his pocket for his cell phone before doing laundry, if not you will spend a good amount of time, and money at the Verizon store! And then two days waiting to see if leaving it in a bowl of rice really works to soak up the water so that you can transfer an address book to the new phone.

6. It is great fun to share the stories of the Bible with someone who doesn't know them.

7. I've started to notice all those with physical difficulties around me every time I leave the house and wonder if they need help. A new sense of compassion has taken me captive.

8. It is impossible to hurry. There's nothing you can do but go at a slower pace.

9. Once in awhile you will be rewarded with a glimpse of the person he was, in the voice that almost sounds like it used to, using the mannerisms and inflections he used to use, and then... your joy abounds.

10. His dry wit is still there and it takes me by surprise.

11. Saying "please" and "thank you" go a long way and I can't even count the number of times in a day he says them. May the rest of us remember to do the same.

12. Stay upbeat because the 'joy of the Lord is your strength' and it can strengthen those around you.

13. When something is really funny, he slaps his leg a few times. May there be lots of leg slapping times in the weeks ahead. My hubby jokingly told him that sarcasm "is apart of therapy," to which I said, 'feel free to hit him with your cane.' ; )

14. I will never know all that my other brother-in-law and sister-in-law went through in taking him into their home, straight out of the hospital, to make him able to come to us in the condition he's in today...
They've worked tirelessly for 9 months helping to make him able to eat, walk and use the facilities all on his own. They are my heroes.

~I guess I've learned quite a bit this week.
Becky

No comments: